Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Nighttime thoughts

It’s happening again, the same thing that happened this afternoon when I tried to take a nap. I can’t sleep. My mind won’t shut down because it wants to keep pondering the possibilities of a honey garlic peach marinade, brown butter rosemary cous cous, and maybe a fresh garden salad or clean and simple butternut squash… fresh bread… rolls? loaf?

The glorious contemplation of what all sorts of spices and meats and juices and veggies would do when joined together is keeping my mind from repose.

Then the synapses of my brain fire in a completely different culinary direction. Scrap that meal! What about lentils in a savory sundried tomato sauce? Or maybe barley? But what would best be served with that? And what would be the best timing for making it this Sunday afternoon for my friends?


I turn from one side to the other as I lie in the darkness of the quiet wooded night, all thoughts of sleep chased far from me as I debate the various merits of this vinegar over that, this spice palette here over that spice palette over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment