Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Here we go adventuring

The native in her (now) local environment
I think one of the things I’m most excited about for this relocation of my life to Mendocino is all the possibilities for exploring nature. Coming from the dry and dusty flatlands of Central California, this wetter coastal landscape offers vistas and habitats completely different from anything I’ve ever had the opportunity to spend much time in before. Here, the ocean meets the rocky bluffs in gray crashes. Salty fog creeps inland between towering redwoods. Green greets me everywhere I turn (and we’re even in a drought right now!). A lonely lighthouse stands guard like a stolid old man. Flowers bloom profusely, even more so I’m told in spring, when the wild rhododendrons go crazy.

Point Cabrillo Lighthouse

The Mendocino Botanical Gardens are enough to take your breath away.


And the beach, I can’t forget the beach. Being an inlander, getting to spend an evening at a beach BBQ / bonfire I got invited to by a new friend I just met was like a dream come true. Watching the sun go down, the flames grow brighter, and the smoke drift away (or over us as the fickle winds dictated) was enough to paint a big smile on my face for days. Or what about running on the beach?! That was amazing. I joined my housemate’s community running group on Sunday, and they took me out along a broad, open waterline speckled with whitened sand dollars. I even got some homegrown pears out of the deal because one of the couples had a surplus from their tree.


Yesterday, the adventuring continued with a great hike through Russian Gulch State Park with two friends I’m getting to know. So beautiful. It put me in mind of a resolution one of my best girl friends made for her birthday this year – to go on close to an average of one hike per week for an entire year. And now I want to do that too! I’ll just have to start a log of all this lovely activity and adventure!

The redwoods of Russian Gulch were awe-inspiring.

The windy day brought a little friend down from the trees above.

This serene waterfall was a lovely end goal for the day's trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment