Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cloudy day memories

It’s just one of those days. You know the kind I’m talking about, right? The kind where you lack the driving force to do anything at all useful to the world? Where you have no idea why you got up at 8 o’clock, but hey, that works? Where you’d rather cozy up on the couch and search out new and exciting food blogs to give you a stunning case of food jealousy? …yeah… that kind of day.

So what do you do on a day like this? That’s right, you toodle around the apartment, tidying this here and that there, lazily festooning the living room with wet laundry (it IS the best spot for those big white drying racks), brewing yourself a nice steaming mug of tea, and reminiscing through all the pictures you have clogging up your hard drive.

And that, of course, is what I have been doing. Which is why I find myself at the dining room table right now, scrolling through pictures on my laptop, comfy sweats and fuzzy socks teaming up with piping hot chai to defeat the gray skies outside trying to turn my mid afternoon into evening already.

The most recent pictures make me smile with the fondness of fresh memories. They’re from VIVID, a yearly event in Sydney that proposes to bring art to the general public through light, the major attractions being light shows projected onto some of the more iconic buildings in the heart of the city. Sure, like most overly hyped things, it wasn’t quite the extravaganza that the teeming crowds seemed to advertise it should be. And yet despite the throngs, the muddy grass churned up by millions of wandering feet, and a whole lot of walking, it was worth it. Why? For the few truly amazing exhibits, where I wanted to just sit and watch forever like a little kid, entranced by the brilliantly choreographed routines in perfect harmony with the contours of their very unique canvases.
 
Customs House



I mean, who wouldn’t want to hang out in front of the Customs House and watch the fantastic interactive display being guided by little dancing kids? The Museum of Contemporary Art’s stunning façade was also host to some really fun imagery, even if a couple of the sequences were a little bit out there.

Museum of Modern Art

It was the Opera House, though, that took the cake. Our little group found a relatively quiet spot above the crowds across Circular Quay, and with the lights and images playing out over its sail-like features in perfect sync with the music, that landmark was transformed from animal to metal to aquarium to rain and to everything in between. I could hardly look at anything else as I leaned against the railing, my camera generally left dangling in my hand, eyes open wide, and a smile of childlike contentment gracing my lips.





As I sit here now with that moment in my mind, that smile seems to be coming out for round two. Let’s see what a second cup of tea does to make it last…

No comments:

Post a Comment