Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Filling in the gaps

In my last post, I mentioned the fact that it had been months since the blog before it made its appearance on the web, and all the several ones before that had only been the slowly drawn out retelling of the adventures we had when Mom and Dad came to visit way back when I first got here to Australia. And then I proceeded to do nothing about that statement. No clearing up of the matter, no questions answered. Well, that’s what today is about, my friends! Time to solve the mystery of Laura’s months of relative silence.

Did I get a job? Yes! I did! I got an entry level sales and marketing position with a startup specializing in direct marketing. I worked with large and small teams in public venues across the city bringing our client’s product right to the public, spreading awareness and expanding our client’s customer base every day. It involved a whole heap lot more extroverted bubbliness and gumption than I’ve been used to in any of my other jobs, and between commuting and meetings and working long hours, I was really quite tired pretty much all the time. And yet I don’t know where else I could have learned as much as I was able to in as short a time as I did. The management and environment was incredibly upbeat and positive, focusing on personal and business development, and I truly believe I’ve come out of it with some much more solid professional skills that I will be able to apply wherever I go in the future.
 
You have to keep everything dry on a rainy day!

Hanging out with one of my coworkers at the Leadership Meeting, an all-day event
with training from the Vice President of the company and a birds' eye view of the city.

So why did I leave this job, if I was learning so much from it? Well, looking at my list of goals for my time in Australia and how much time I had left, I decided that the best course of action would be to take a little time off to rest and then jump back into it with something a little different.


How different? What does that mean? Ummm… I don’t know yet. I’ll have to keep you posted….

No comments:

Post a Comment