Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A little foodie inspiration

The past two weeks or so, I feel like there has been a whole lot going on in my life foodwise. Practically every other day something amazing has been finding its way into my mouth and into my brain, infecting me with a desire to either recreate it or apply its flavor combinations to new dishes. And since food is so important to me, meaning it obviously must be to you too, I couldn’t resist sharing a few of these recent delights and maybe share a little bit of my kitchen inspiration.

First, we made a satay peanut sauce that is absolutely delicious! Creamy and really rich in flavor, it was the perfect way to make Stir Fry Night special. You can get the recipe here, if you feel at all as curious and tempted as I was.

Then, the other weekend I found an intriguing Blondie recipe, and when we decided to go on a picnic with a few friends, of course we had to make Blondies with Dulce de Leche and Roasted Hazelnuts. You can change the toppings all you want, the list of possibilities is endless!

Unfortunately, we had no recipe for this next one, but it would be so fun to try to make it at home! Imagine this: Carrot and Beet Ice Cream. Sounds strange, doesn’t it? It kind of was, and yet it was so good too! As my roommate Kels put it, “It tastes like they scooped it straight out of the earth, but in a good way.” Honestly, you should seriously consider it.

Next, Tahini and Lemon Salad Dressing took a big salad dinner beyond the basics. Just mix a big spoonful of tahini with a little lemon zest and the juice of an entire lemon, add a little powdered garlic, pepper, and paprika if you like, and you can sit down around the little wooden table in your miniscule living room packed full with six other warm human hearts and savor the flavors together.

A couple nights later, Kels and I went to dinner at a Moroccan friend’s house, and we not only got to wallow in the deep flavors of an authentic tajine, we also were blown away by the Bastela that he brought back from his last visit to Marrakech. Imagine a nice layer of shredded curry chicken topped by an incredibly dense and moist layer of ground almonds with cinnamon and sugar and heaven only knows what other delicious ingredients, all wrapped up in a delicate pastry dough and liberally sprinkled with toasted almond slices. Oh. My. Oh my oh my oh my. Maybe an exact recreation isn’t really feasible, but that magical flavor combination set my mind whirling down the path of kitchen possibilities.

And finally, because I spied the bag of coconut and the container of cocoa in my cupboard the other day, I realized I couldn’t go much longer without making some coconut brownies. I found an amazing recipe for a basic brownie here at the Smitten Kitchen blog and tweaked it a little to accommodate the things I had on hand (substituting some coconut for sugar and some cocoa for flour). And the result was… well, the friends I shared them with wouldn’t let me take the leftovers home.


….aaaah. I feel much better now. All these marvelous things were just weighing me down and I had to share them! Now… anyone out there feeling inspired?

No comments:

Post a Comment