Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Friday, March 15, 2013

Just what the doctor ordered


You know that feeling you get when you step back from the normal bustle of your daily life and take a moment to breath in the clean fresh air of a forest or park? As your eyes rest on the abundance of green and your ears exult in the soft rustling of the breeze that tickles the leaves, fronds, flowers, and branches around you, you feel your chest expanding, your lungs filling, your heart slowing to the steady cadence of quiet and calm. Isn’t that a lovely feeling that runs down to your fingers and up to the top of your head? Isn’t it wonderful to feel all things frenetic and worrisome drip away from you and melt into the ground beneath your feet?

Oh how I love it. I love it, I love it! Did I tell you I love it? I love this city and the life I live here, but oh how I love getting away from the people and noise and letting myself relax in the woods. And it’s even better – oh so much better – when you have a close friend by your side, pounding out the eight or nine miles together that you need to do in the advancing preparation for that upcoming half-marathon. Then the peace is made perfect by all that release of energy and thought, and as your feet hit in the earth in steady rhythm, you feel as though you are both a pair or woodland creatures coming back to your natural place, the place where you feel quiet, at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment