Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Good Stuff


So often, it’s easiest to think about all the things that aren’t quite perfect in our lives, all those little problems that plague us continually, all the things we wish would go away or change into something “better.” And yet, as a dear friend recently reminded me, it’s so important to remember all the wonderful things that happen, all the little things that lift our hearts and make us thankful to be alive. I know, I know, it’s a truth we all have hidden away somewhere in our minds, but it’s good to bring it to the forefront of our thoughts every now and again (or every day!) and really think about all the things we have to be grateful for.

So, here are just a few of the things that have gladdened my heart this week, a few things for which I am profoundly thankful.

- I love my private students. True, sometimes I would rather not have to deal with lesson planning, but this week I have had some really great conversations with my older students as well as some fun times with my younger ones… well, at least I was having fun!

- On Wednesday, I got home dead tired from school, barely able to even think about the run I needed to get my bum out of the house for. However, I had a little extra time, so I was able to lie down for a little while. 20 minutes. That was it, and yet it was one of the best parts of my week. I got up feeling refreshed and ready to go a little longer. It’s amazing how much the perfectly placed nap can mean.

- I love Thursday evenings, and this one was no exception. Kels and I both get home from a long day of school, private classes, and commuting, and we just hang out and relax together. We have something cozy and warm for dinner, share all about how our day went, and often watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother. Then we quietly drift about getting ready for bed, the conversations often continuing off and on for a while since our rooms are right next to each other. It’s the perfect way to end my longest day of the week.

- After a bit over two weeks of being laid low by a bad cold-turned-sinus-infection, I was finally able to get back out on the trails around the park near our apartment for a good run. It felt wonderful to get moving again, even if the first day back out was more of a jog-walk that a run.

- It’s so fun seeing the enthusiasm of the students over the school-wide Tongue Twister Challenge I got to set up this January. In all the different grades, there is at least one kid who is excited to know every Monday what the new tongue twister is. I love it when they see the new tongue twister and get that bright look in their eyes, when they avidly mutter it under their breath to practice, and when they pump their fists in victory when they finally get the point for that week.

- I love making pancakes, and this morning I mixed up a perfect batch for one. I got to experiment and put fun things in them, which always makes me happy, and I thoroughly enjoyed delving into their fragrantly warm moistness deluged in Greek yogurt. Yummy.

The more I think about all the great things that have happened this week, the more I realize just how long this list could and should go… Wow, life sure is full of good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment