Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Moments of solitary reflection

What traveling on my own often looks like

When I booked my flight to Helsinki, I wasn’t really thinking about anything other than the fact that I was going to visit a friend in a country I’d never been to before.  I didn’t really think about the fact that the local language was a complete mystery to me or that I’d be spending a lot of time exploring on my own, unaided, with no one else along for the ride because although I am on vacation, my friend wasn’t.  In all reality, the language thing is going to just fine, as every one of the people I’ve worked up the courage to talk to speaks excellent, or at least decently passable, English.  But the whole being all alone thing is kind of strange, I have to admit.  I’m so used to traveling with roommates or friends or family that I don’t really know how to travel and explore by myself.  How do I articulate and form those shapeless ideas and feelings I get when I look at a beautiful building or piece of art or contemplate a peaceful scene if there is no one with whom speak?  Impressions shared are more meaningful and real than those that simply lie silent within you, aren’t they?  Maybe…or maybe not.  

1 comment:

  1. I know this view very well. And solitude can often be just what we need for creativity to abound. You ar ea beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete