Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Make them. Eat them. Now.


Oh my goodness.  You simply must try this amazingly delightful recipe.  It’s not Spanish at all – I think it actually comes from New York, but it doesn’t really matter where good food is from, right?  I’ve been following a few food blogs from the States recently, and when this particular recipe came up, I knew I just HAD to try it.  They’re called Potato Knish, and as we found out last night at dinner, they’re absolutely phenomenal.  Imagine all the hearty goodness of mashed potatoes with a generous portion of caramelized onions mixed in, all covered in the gloriousness that is pastry dough, and then baked to a golden brown perfection.  Now imagine breaking open the beautiful flakiness of the crust and watching the steam swirl up and away from the piping hot filling of potatoes and onions.  Oh yes.  Now your fork is gently breaking away a bite…it’s magically raising to your mouth, which is waiting in ecstasy, begging to get even just a taste of what smells like heaven.  Drooling yet?  I certainly was as I waited impatiently for the potatoes to cool just enough for me to stuff my face – as anxious as I was to eat every last crumb as soon as possible, I listened to my roommate’s advice of “The steam is telling you something” and decided not to wantonly burn the roof of mouth.  But those moments of waiting were definitely worth it.  As I finally savored the creaminess of the potatoes, the deeply rich flavor of the caramelized onions, the flakiness of the crust, and the hint of curry I had added to the mix at the last minute, I was happy – supremely, utterly, consummately happy.  And I decided that these are a definite repeat.  Definitely.

Now it's for you to try them.  Check them out at:

No comments:

Post a Comment