Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

School days, school days


Wow, am I ever exhausted.  It’s only the third day of work too.  I do have two hours of commuting each day though, so I guess that’s what’s been making my days so long.  Or maybe it’s the two hour break I have in the middle of the day from 1-3 because of daily teacher meetings plus lunch.  Although, lunch is pretty darn important here, so two hours allows parents to come pick up their kids and take them home for a family lunch time (working parents will often come home for lunch too).  It’s kind of cool actually when you think of it that way, as a break for family to spend time together with the common purpose of the breaking of bread. 

And then there’s the half hour for snack/”breakfast” at 11:30, during which I eat my fair share of the free fruit, bread, juice, and snackage in the teacher’s area.  That way I can bring less for my “actual” lunch at 2 and save a little bit of money….oh man, did that ever make me sound like a starving student!  It’s so true though – I’m trying to save every little penny I can in order to be able to travel on extended weekends, so I’m taking advantage of any free food that comes within my radar.

Oh yes, and then there’s the kids, those little beings whose education I am focusing my entire stay here on.  So far, they’ve been really great - I’m working with 2nd and 3rd graders mostly, and they are just adorable.  Today in the 2nd grade, I showed them some pictures via power point and told them about my home, my family and my hobbies, and then they had to draw a picture of me and something from my life that I had told them about.  I won’t see all the finished products until tomorrow since they are finishing them at home as part of their homework, but I’m sure they’re going to be precious.  A lot of the kids were proudly coming to me at every stage of their drawings to show me their artistic prowess, and apparently, according to one little girl’s picture, my hair comes all the way around my neck in the manner of a beard.  Needless to say, I’m going to thoroughly enjoy looking through all of them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment