Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The End

Tuesday, August 9

There's only a little over an hour left in my plane ride, meaning that very soon I'll be back in the good ol' US of A and my time in Bangladesh will have receded from present reality into thoughts and memories.  Seems a little sad, but such is life I guess, one ending bringing a new beginning and the days continuing their relentless forward march without pause for nostalgia of any sort.  Ah well...
 I so enjoyed being in business class on my way over to Bangladesh, that I was really hoping God might smile on me again and bless me with another upgrade.  Sadly, I was disappointed - which feeling seems a bit ridiculous since I'm actually paying for Economy, but even if it was ridiculous, I did give a little sigh of resignation when the lady at check-in handed me my tickets and I saw printed in big letter that word ECONOMY.  However, because I did in fact stay in economy, I got to meet a new friend.  She's a Bengali flying to the States for the first time (and flying period for the first time ever) to meet up with her husband, who's been working in LA for a number of years.  When she found out we were on the same flight all the way through to LAX, she got a little excited and asked me if I could help her navigate the airports and such.  Then her brother called her (we hadn't boarded yet) because he was apparently worried about how she was going to safely arrive in her husband's arms, and she told him she had met someone who was also going to LA.  About 2 seconds after they hung up, he called again and asked to speak to me!  Upon my answering, he exhorted me earnestly to take care of his sister (who, by the way, was at least a couple of years older than me).  The two of us got to sit together on the flight from Dhaka to Dubai because she was able to switch with the man next to me, but this leg we've been separated by about 20 rows (yay for the very back of the plane), which is actually kind of nice because we've been able to focus on getting as much sleep as we can (oh Business class bed, how I miss you!).

.......Thursday, August 11

And now, here I am at home.  After the longest day ever on Tuesday, I finally arrived in Bakersfield on the airport bus, and Mom and Dad were waiting for me with open arms and some much-needed water.  I will miss the people I met and the things I got to experience during my time in Bangladesh, but it's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment