Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Sunday, December 19, 2010

You always learn the randomest things.....


So it’s officially over.  My study abroad program ended, and I ran away to London for a week before finally boarding the plane for home, and now I’m back at my parents’ kitchen table in central California, halfway across the globe from Madrid.  Did I enjoy myself for the three and a half months that I was in Spain?  You bet your booties I did.  I had a blast.  It was three and a half months full of food, friends, and fun, baby.  Did I learn anything at all while I was over there?  Of course!  I was taking five classes all chock-full of lectures, homework, projects, essays, and tests on top of strengthening my Spanish every day – how could I not learn with all of that?  Oh, you mean besides academics….  Well, it goes kind of without saying that every new situation brings you in contact with new things, every day teaching you a little something new.  So to end off this slew of blogs about my time in Madrid (yes, I do realize how much I tend to write haha), I thought I’d leave you all with a couple of those random little things I learned during my time in Madrid:

1.    Everything is relative – Here in California, I’m an average sized-girl with an averaged sized-foot, but in Europe, I sometimes have difficulty finding what I need because most shoes stores don’t carry anything over a size 41, which is at the lower end of my size spectrum.  (Golly gee, that makes me sound like a giant!)
2.   Learn to look at the world from a different perspective - When you put half a canned peach upside down on a white plate, the result looks remarkably like a giant egg.  (We had a nice giggle over this one night at dinner)
3.   Everyone is capable of the unexpected - You know that candy brand called Chupa Chups?  Maybe you do, maybe you don’t, but it has the sweetest little innocent logo that you’ve ever seen.  Well, wouldn’t you know, it was designed by the artist Dali!  Who’d a thunk someone with such crazy and dark paintings would create such a sweetly simple candy logo?
4.  Determination can overcome a lot, but even an insane amount of it isn’t able to overcome the impossible - A little lap dog will never be able to pull you around on your rollerblades, even if you’re a nine-year old boy and are whipping the leash about with all your might.  Sorry, there just isn’t motivation enough in that waving leash to get those tiny little legs to pull you even an inch.
5.   If you don’t worry about what other people think, you can do just about anything -  When you’re a white-haired old man you can go out to the park with your ancient roller skates, walkman, and capri pants and go around and around the same fountain for an hour dancing and singing at the top of your lungs and not worry about a thing; because really, who cares what the tourists about to post your antics on youtube might think?

No comments:

Post a Comment