Pages

El albergue

El albergue

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

By jove, it's snowing!


I’ve led a rather deprived life.  I’ve never really seen it snow before.  It just doesn’t really happen around my little hometown in central California.  Of course, there was that one historic day in elementary school when it did actually snow a few inches and all the schools closed for the day in the general rush of excitement, but it all fell during the night, so I didn’t get to see it until it was on the ground.  And one time in jr. high a flurry of tiny flakes drew us all out of class in a laughing, happy mob, but it they were really pretty tiny.  Yesterday though, just before my three-hour final started, the entire class was staring through the windows as little spots of white started to drift down, continuing for pretty much the rest of the day. 

That’s right, it was snowing in Madrid!  Apparently, Madrid only started to get snow a few short years ago, and then usually only after the New Year, but here we are at the juncture between November and December, and snow is a near surety for the next week or so.  (Oh global warming, thank you for expanding my climatological experience!)

As I walked the 10 minute walk from my class room to the train station that would take me back to central Madrid, my umbrella only half sheltered me from the clumpy flakes that were drifting around at every odd angle on skittish drafts of wind; but it wasn’t really a problem, since it wasn’t exactly a deluge of snow – a few delicate blobs of ice stuck themselves to my coat and jeans and quietly melted, but they weren’t enough to get me wet.

It was kind of a wet snow in general though, but the temperature wasn’t low enough to keep it from melting into puddles as soon as it touched down to earth.  (However, it was still cold enough that if you’d asked me if my feet were a bit on the chilly side while I was walking, I would have answered, “I don’t know, I can’t feel them.”)  Pretty soon, all those little individual puddles had grown and melded into one another, making…well, larger puddles, the kind of puddles that like to leach up into your pant legs if you’re not paying enough attention.

So yeah, I was kinda cold, but it was fun watching little flurries of snow swirl around in the air – I’m more used to seeing dust devils.

No comments:

Post a Comment